By; Omooba Damilare Oloyede
The news is all over, and congratulatory messages have littered social media platforms, amongst other avenues. Not for any other reasons but for the latest announcement from House of Oduduwa, ile ife, that the new IYALAJE OODUA is no other than, than Princess (Dr.) Toyin Kolade.
To some of us, it wasn’t a surprise considering the kind of person the Ilesha-born businesswoman is, coupled with her penchant for promoting cultural values and heritage and her desire to get the best out of every business endeavours.
For those not in the know, the IYALAJE OODUA title can only be literally translated as the “mother of the deity of wealth & riches” in the whole of Oduduwa land. So having a businesswoman of Princess Toyin Kolade’s standing as the title holder is a ’round peg in a round hole’ choice by the Co-Chairman of the National Traditional Council of Nigeria, NTCN, Ooni Babatunde Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II.
Let me enumerate about 5 reasons Iyalaje emerged the IYALAJE OODUA;
- Only a businesswoman can be named IYALAJE OODUA; Aje is all about wealth, commerce, trade and investment. So having an IYALAJE OODUA that’s acceptable and popular requires that such should be a business person, and Dr. Toyin Kolade perfectly fits in, and in the announcement made by Ooni’s spokesperson, Mr. Yera Moses Olafare, her 35 years steady rise on the ladder of business from petty trading in Ilesha to an international stage in Apapa was significantly acknowledged.
- Just as wealth is meant to bless humanity, it is also expected that the holder of the IYALAJE OODUA title must be a philanthropist, who has been a blessing to many, in this again, Kolade is fit. And the giant feats she’s attained in philanthropy were also acknowledged by the Ooni. One thing that brought Iyalaje to limelight was her undying desire to see that the downtrodden smiles and are lifted up from the dungeon of neglect. As a wealthy woman , she operates an open door policy, that is devoid of any body guards or security details.
- Undoubtedly, it’s a known fact that chieftaincy titles always come from the palace, and palaces are abode of royalty. One thing that one can’t take away from Princess Toyin is that she adores and respects kings and chiefs enormously. Her relationship with Ooni in the past years has been of honour, adoration, admiration and utmost respect. This is another top criteria for which she was considered for the revered title.
- A great promoter of the annual Aje festival, who also served as the Global Coordinator and Cultural Ambassador of Oonirisa, the revitalised Aje festival and the international propagation enjoyed by the Aje brand are other testaments that indeed Mrs Toyin Kolade deserves the honour.
- Being a role model, a virtuous woman and dutiful wife and mother obviously served as another reason the Ooni stool has continued to maintain a strong relationship with Iyalaje, and today, a worthy chieftaincy title as IYALAJE OODUA will again allow the beautiful, illustrious and dependable woman substance to continue to contribute her quota to development of mankind, and promotion of the values of the Oduduwa clan.
All roads lead to Ife come July, when the traditional rites and installation will be perfected, it’s surely gonna be classy and memorable.
Oloyede; a media practitioner and culture enthusiast writes via firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp 09067939220