Bandits suspected to be fleeing Nigerian Air Force attacks in the Bakura – Talata Mafara axis of Zamfara State on Tuesday stormed Dange Shuni local government area of Sokoto and kidnapped at least 20 residents.

There is an ongoing clampdown on bandits in forests in Zamfara State.

The military operation has been supported with the shutdown of mobile telecommunications networks and suspension of cattle markets and ban of the sale of petrol in jerry cans.

States like Sokoto, Katsina, and Niger have all taken similar measures.

Residents of the Dange Shuni local government area, however, told BBC Hausa as monitored by newsmen that communities in the area were witnessing the influx of bandits recently

Sokoto State Commissioner for Security Affairs, Garba Moyi, confirmed the development but said the state government was on top of the situation.

READ ALSO: Bandits abduct ex-NBC director, daughter, three others in Katsina
He said bandits from Zamfara had been moving into Sokoto but were not kidnapping people as being reported because they were only looking for escape routes.

Mr Moyi confirmed that sometimes the bandits attacked residents to instil fear or steal food while on the run.

An unnamed local said “Even yesterday (Tuesday) the bandits running away from bombs in Zamfara attacked a village called Fajanbi and abducted nine people.

“Another person taken from another village escaped and told us that abductees from the area were more than 20 in the kidnappers’ den

Related posts

Crash at Guran Malam: FRSC Boss Harps on Re-fleeting, Routine Maintenance 

Newsspitch

INTERNAL SECURITY: POLICE SETS TO HONOUR SLAIN OFFICERS WHO WERE GRUESOMELY MURDERED IN DELTA OPERATION

Newsspitch

MAINOK: COAS APPLAUDS TROOPS OF OPERATION LAFIYA DOLE FOR THEIR RESILIENCE AND DOGGEDNESS

Newsspitch

Leave a Comment